3.11.2014

Not Quite Spring Floral Pencil Skirt



I have been on an unintentional sewing hiatus due to moving.  This weekend I had a little bit of time to finish unpacking so I was able to put my sewing machine up, which felt amazing. I spent the whole day finishing diy projects and making this cute little skirt.

It's not quite spring yet, but you can never go wrong with a floral print. I picked up this gorgeous fabric from Joann's Fabrics a couple of weeks ago while shopping for a friend. I can never go into a fabric store and get what I'm supposed to.  This floral print caught my eye as soon as I walked into the door.  I immediately started brainstorming of all the diy options I could make with this fabric. I decided a pencil skirt would make a perfect addition to my diy closet for spring.

Needless to say, I couldn't wait a couple more weeks.  The weather has been on the up and up the last couple of days, so why not?!  A pencil skirt is really easy to make for beginners.  It was one of the first things I made using a knit fabric.  This fabric option is a  floral cotton woven.  To me, a cotton woven is easier to sew because it doesn't move on the machine; however, a knit is easier to work with.  The stretch in the fabric allows room for mistakes. I've thrown away so many items that I've made using a woven fabric because the measurements were off which made the fitting weird.




Overall, I am in love with this floral pattern.  I have an extra yard left, so I'm thinking about a short gathered skirt next.  Stay tuned!




 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment