6.24.2014

DIY Gathered Skirt with Split


Hey guys! This look was inspired by Liz at Cotton and Curls.  I figured out a way to make this skirt in a very simplified way and it turned out awesome!  It literally took me 30 minutes to make this skirt. My husband was in shock because it usually takes me hours or days to complete a DIY.


 You Will Need:

  1. Sewing Machine
  2. 3" Elastic Waistband
  3. Coordinating Thread
  4. Scissors
  5. Seam Ripper
  6. Measuring Tape
  7. 1 yard of Jersey Knit Fabric


 I took ONE measurement which was the length. I did not bother the width because I knew I wanted a few gathers.  
Steps:

  1. Measure and cut the length that you want (Mine was 41", I added a couple of inches for my heels)
  2. Place your machine on the longest stitch possible and go across the top of your fabric at 5/8" seam allowance. This will start the gathering of your skirt
  3. Take the hanging threads and gather your skirt to your waist measurement (leave room for seam allowance)
  4. Measure your waistband to your waist measurement (I like mine to fit a little snug, so I cut an inch off)
  5. Pin and sew your waistband onto your skirt using a zigzag stitch (make sure the waistband is laying RST onto the fabric)
  6. After your have sew the waistband onto the skirt, flip it up (FYI you may notice your gathering stitches, it's ok! Take your seam ripper and pull them out.)
  7.  fold your fabric RST and sew the opening to where you want your split to start. Back Stitch and you are done!!



Don't worry about hemming if you use a jersey knit like I did!

 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial,

    How do you get the slit to overlap?

    ReplyDelete