8.10.2015

DIY Linen Pant Suit






Happy Monday!!!  I have been at it for the last several days with this pant suit and I absolutely love how it came out.  I was inspired to do this look by my friend Jessica and Pinterest.  She showed me a picture of an old pant floral pant suit I did before I started blogging (HERE) and right then and there I knew what my next project would be.  I searched Pinterest looking for some inspiration and came across the photo below.  I instantly knew that Joann's had the fabric I needed and I knew which patterns I had in my collection that could give me the look I was going for.
For this look I used Vogue Pattern V8815 for the top and Mimi G's Simplicity Pattern 1283 for the flair pants.  I've used the V8815 pattern several times and I love it!  The pattern is labeled "very easy" which is very true, lol.  The instructions are pretty easy to read and it takes no time to put together.  
This pattern teaches you how to sew darts, gather, install an invisible zipper and how install a hook and eye. It sounds like a lot but I promise, once you've finished you will want to make this pattern over and over again.  
For this look I cut the smallest size, which is an 8.  I did have to take it in some before installing the zipper. NOTE: I highly recommend sewing a basting stitch (longest stitch on your machine) completely down the back and trying on prior to installing the zipper.  If if does not fit like you want it to, it may be difficult to take it in if the zipper is already installed.
 If you have not purchased one of Mimi G's patterns you are missing out on a treat!  Not only are they awesome, but she also provides a step by step video on how to sew the garment.  These flair, high waist pants are the bomb! They fit perfectly and were easy to make.  This pattern is the gift that keeps on giving. In the same package you will receive a pencil skirt, cropped top and cardigan pattern, each with its own tutorial!! That along is worth doing a little dance for.
With this pattern Mimi teaches you how to install darts, an invisible zipper, how to create a waistband and check for fitting.
I cut size 31.5 in the pants and did not have to make any adjustments at all sizing wise. The only adjustment I did make was choosing not to hand stitch my waistband closed.  I'm way to impatient for hand stitching, so I top stitched.  If you choose to top stitch, PLEASE sew very slow because the last thing you want is a crooked stitch across your waistband where everyone can see it.
Top Pattern HERE / Pants Pattern HERE Tutorial HERE / Fabric HERE / Necklace GIFTED
 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment