8.05.2015

DIY Old Pair of Jeans to a Pencil Skirt





I remember when a jean skirt was super boring and only worn to church with a pair of stockings and ballerina flats, lol! Today, a jean pencil skirt is a trendy seasonal staple that can be worn either to work or on a causal weekend date.  Denim skirts are back with a vengeance and are sold in stores all over such as Macys, Old Navy, The Gap, and more. Denim has become a wardrobe essential and can be styled in so many ways.  If you plan on jumping on the denim bandwagon here are a few ways to style your skirt:

*Pair with a summer sweater to offer a business causal look.
*Denim on denim (preferably different washes) is very fashionable and adds a bohemian feel.  
*Dress your skirt up with a silk blouse or a button up to make your outfit work friendly.
*Create a simple summer look with a cute tank and some heels, like me.
*On the run? Throw on a t-shirt and some causal sneakers to create a comfy, yet cute look on the go.


Back in 2012 when I first started sewing, I decided to tackle this tutorial by Mimi G HERE as my first sewing project.  I literally sat in my bedroom on the floor with two old pair of jeans and watched Mimi's video play by play before heading to the sewing machine.

If you plan on making the maxi skirt only, I would recommend using two pair of jeans that are 1. the
same length and 2. are the desired length that you want your skirt to be.  Also, you may want to head over to your local fabric store and purchase a sewing needle for denim.  Denim is a very thick material and since you will be sewing between two pieces, you will need a needle that is strong enough to handle the thickness.
Instructions for Pencil Skirt
Materials:
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine
  • Denim/Jean Sewing Needle
  • Measuring Tape
  • Fabric Marker

1. To get the pencil skirt look, I simply took my measuring tape and measured where I wanted my skirt to stop and marked that length onto my skirt.
2. I tried on the skirt, inside out (after I cut my desired length) and using my pins, being pinning on both side seams until I had the desire fit.
3. Lastly, I began sewing down the side seams using a 5/8" seam allowance (RST) where my pins were. If your skirt does not fit exactly how you want it tom repeat steps 2-3.
4. I decided not to hem my skirt.  I wanted a more rugged look so I frayed the edge my simply pulling on the strings of the skirt until I achieved my desire look. FYI: you don't want to fray too much because as you wear and wash your skirt it will fray on it's own.

Top HERE / Sunnies HERE / Watch similar HERE / Bracelet similar HERE / Shoes similar HERE
 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment