7.27.2015

DIY Photography






Half the battle of blogging is learning how to take great photos that require minimal editing. As I reflect back on my photos, I can see a huge difference in quality.  One of my biggest goals with blogging was to work on maximizing my camera and great lighting to reduce the amount of time I spend editing.
My husband normally takes my photos, but this time I decided to play photographer.  I recently purchased a new camera and I am learning how to use it (yes, I am the person that tosses the manual aside and attempt to self teach). I switched from the Nikon CoolPix L120 to the Nikon D3200 .  Both are excellent cameras, but I really wanted better quality photos and something that I could also use to shoot videos.  So far I am impressed.  I am still learning how to use it, but my photos have turned out amazing, not to mention that it has a wifi option where I can instantly upload my pictures to my iPhone!
My photos are not perfect, but there is definite improvement.  The most important word that I have learned is lighting!  Great lighting is important because it is the source (besides a great camera) to a perfect picture.  I rarely ever use the flash, in fact, I hate using the flash setting because it takes away from the natural elements that I really like to capture in my pictures.  Along with having an awesome camera, here are a few things that I have learned and value with photography:

  • Almost all of my photos are taken outside because people are drawn to beautiful photos.  It is something about nature that can make a photo stand out.  It is more engaging to look at beautiful photos that capture natural beauty. I usually take my photos on Sunday midday because we can take our time and get as many photos as necessary.   
  • For me blogging started as a way to capture all of my DIYs. I wanted to put my best work up for others to see and be inspired by, that includes taking great photos that would engage my audience.
  • My photos are my portfolio that could one day open doors to other opportunities.  I use patterns, style brands and use materials that are not my own.  I want to capture them in a way that people will see what I do and love it just as much as I do.  I want my tutorials to be easy to comprehend and achievable.
  • Education and research is key.  I am constantly researching how to take great photos and how to take advantage of formatting on my camera and editing.  There is always something new and improved, especially today!  It is very important that I keep up and continue to improve my photography skills to provide my audience with the best!
  • Editing:  Never use un-edited photos! I have not mastered Adobe Photoshop just yet.  Normally I use Pixlr Express.  Usually for each picture I adjust the color (saturation and maybe lightness), the vibrance, the contrast and smooth it out.  The adjustments are very minimal.  Remember you want to enhance not completely change.  Also, make sure you know how to adjust the exposure on your camera.  I usually open it up to brighten the photo as it is taken.
Hopefully this information is useful and can be a resource to anyone taking photos.
Happy Monday!!!


 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment