9.21.2015

DIY Floral Gathered Dress Using Vogue 8815 Bodice




So, I am very excited to introduce my drawing tutorials.  A few weeks ago I posted on Instagram that I was learning to use my Wacom tablet to produce tutorials.  I have watched so many videos on Youtube on how to use Photoshop, how to use my tablet and different drawing techniques.  While this tutorial is not perfect by far, I am still very proud of what I accomplished. If you guys could have seen my drawings in the beginning you would've laughed, lol.  To go along with the pictures, I have detailed instructions below on how to achieve this look.
For this pattern, I opted to use Vogue's 8897 top for my bodice to ensure that I had the perfect fit.  You could create your own bodice pattern if you so choose

Tutorial:

Materials:
Instructions:

1. Lay your pattern pieces (1 front bodice cut on the fold, and two back bodice pieces) onto           the top half of your fabric and cut.

2. Sew your darts as instructed in the instructions.

3. Sew your bodice pieces together with RST at the shoulders.

4. Attach your sleeve pieces by laying them onto the front and back bodice pieces with RST      and stitch.

5. Stitch down the arm and side seams of your dress using a 5/8" seam allowance.  You            should still have an opening at the back of your bodice piece. Now fold under your              neckline 1/2" and a 1/2" again  and sew.

6. Measure your desired length of your skirt piece and cut straight across your fabric.  Using
the longest stitch on your machine, sew a basting stitch across your fabric and begin             gathering your skirt to your waist measurement + an additional 1".

7. With RST, lay your bodice piece on top of the skirt (the bottom of the bodice should meet   with the top of the skirt), Pin in place and sew using a 5/8" seam allowance.

8.  To attach your invisible zipper, lay the zipper onto the seam  wrong side) from step 7 and place a pin 1" from where the zipper ends, pin up the the back opening of the skirt and bodice (leaving that pin in place as a marking).  Start sewing a straight stitch using a 5"8" seam allowance.  Once you get to that pin, back stitch and change your stitch to the longest   stitch on your machine.  Continue sewing.  Now attach your zipper onto the seam                     allowance piece only (not the entire dress) sewing as close to the  zipper teeth as possible.       Once you have sewn both sides, using your seam ripper, remove the basting stitch to               reveal the zipper.  Your dress is done!! Now all you have to do is hem the bottom.


Fabric ~ Similar Belt ~ Sunnies ~ Similar Sandals ~ Similar Bangles

 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment