10.13.2015

DIY Gathered Skirt with Pockets




Hi friends! So, this week I decided to take a break from patterns and sew one of my favorites, a gathered skirt!  I'm so in love with a gathered skirt because you can either make it casual with a pair of sneakers or throw on a pair of pumps and rock it on a date night. I've styled this skirt in both ways and loved both looks.  To see my causal look with this skirt click here. 
For this skirt I decided to follow Cotton and Curls' gathered a-line skirt tutorial which can be found here.  She offers great photos and detailed instructions on how to create this look. I really love her tutorials because I am a visual learner and I need pictures, lol.  She offers step by step photo tutorials with detailed instructions that makes sewing your garment really easy to do.  I love her style of sewing because she simply uses her own clothing as patterns to diy a garment.  I've adopted this technique because it's cheaper, easier and nothing works better than your own clothing when trying to figure out sizing and measurements.

If you're looking for a step by step video tutorial, Mimi G also has one that can be purchased here that is great and covers several techniques for the novice seamstress. I've used this tutorial several times and learned how to gather, install an invisible zipper and use interfacing the correct way.  She covers fabric choices that will work for a gathered skirt and she also gives you pocket patterns to use for your skirt. Photos using Mimi's tutorial here and here.
Outfit LinksSimilar Top ~ Skirt Material ~ Skirt Tutorial ~ Similar Pumps
 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment