11.08.2015

DIY Olive Butterick Pant Suit




Hi guys! Sorry for the delay in DIY posts.  I actually made this suit weeks ago, but with Derrick and I moving, traveling home and the inconsistent weather here in Houston, it's been impossible to take blog photos.  No worries though, I always come through with a great post! 

So if you've been following me for any length of time you know that I really love a good pantsuit. I've been wanting to make culottes for a while now, but I was nervous about making them.  After doing some research (research meaning Pinterest, haha) I was convinced to try it out.  I searched high and low for a good pattern that could give me the look that I wanted.  I came across Butterick patterns B6178 and B6175.  At first glance I wasn't sure if it would work, (don't let the picture fool you) but when I saw that it was "fast and easy" I figure I could give it a try.

I can honestly say that this pattern did not disappoint!  Not only were both the pants and top SUPER easy to make, they also turned out really cute and were surprisingly comfortable.  I did make some minor adjustments to both items to fit the style that I was going for.  See below for more information on the adjustments and a pattern review.


 Pattern Review B6175 (Top):

  1. The top was really simple to sew together and would work as a great "first" for a beginner.
  2. The instructions were really easy to understand and follow and included pictures that look just like the cut out pieces.  If you're a visual learner like myself, this is a bonus!
  3. The fit was true to the measurements on the envelope and did not require any adjusting.
  4. FYI: The top did not come as a crop top.  I measured where I wanted to top to stop with my measuring tape, then transferred that measurement onto both fabric pieces (not the pattern) and proceeded with the instructions.
  5. I would recommend this pattern to anyone that sews, yes, even a beginner!
  6. I would most definitely make this top again, both as a crop top and the original way.


Pattern Review B6178 (Culottes):

  1. The culottes were really easy to put together.  Pant patterns can be confusing for a beginner.  This pattern was true to its label of "Fast and Easy".
  2. The instructions were really easy to understand and follow and also had pictures to follow along with.
  3. The fit was a little off in the waist so I had to take it in.  I would recommend doing a basting stitch in the waist and hip to try on first before finishing the pants.
  4. Other than adjusting the size, I did not make any changes to the pants.
  5. I would most definitely recommend this pattern.
  6. I will be making this culottes again in a different color. 



Fabric ~ Patterns Top/Culottes ~ Hat ~ Shoes
 photo signature_zps636c081b.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment